Sunday, October 10, 2010

I often wonder what God has on His iPod.

Does anyone else ever think about this? Every time I think about creation, I wonder what music God was listening to at the time. I mean, God is a wonderfully creative artist, obviously, and most artists like to listen to something when they create their work, which lead me to my thought this week:

What did God have on His iPod when he was creating the oceans?

I imagine it was something with a lot of strings, personally. Seeing as the Almighty has access to the largest band in creation, I'm sure that, while standing barefoot in paint-stained clothes and a beanie, they somehow just... worked well together. Art does that, you know? And I'm pretty sure that intricacy, that complexity, has to do with the time of Creation.

How does art and music go together, yet fall in the same category? 'Cause God did it first.

I'm also convinced that there's a little bit of Heavenly wonder in music. So when I hear something that really captivates me, it doesn't surprise me that I often wonder if God was ever listening to something similar during some point in history. For example, last week I found an orchestrated piece from a favorite game of mine, Donkey Kong Country. I didn't remember it was from this game, but when I heard it, I was absolutely captivated by the arrangement. When I reached the crescendo, a thought struck me: I wonder if this was what God was listening to when he created the oceans? When I hunted down the song, I was surprised to discover its name was "Aquatic Ambiance." I took that as a sign; I'm convinced God was listening to this at some point while He stood, barefoot, covered in the paint of creation, staring at the canvas of the Earth, watching as life was breathed into what He just molded together. Rock, sand, silt, reefs, fish, waves, and so, so much more of it covered by darkness, a beauty that human eyes may never see. Jump in at :59-4:01, close your eyes, and see if you can't feel yourself floating through the wonder of His creation.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that really is beautiful. I love the idea of God listening to music while He created the world. Just wondering ... at any point do you see Him creating to something a little more ... "Skillet"-ish? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When He created me. Duh. :)

    No, seriously - I actually do. That's another entry for another time, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this song from the DK days! Of course! Surprised you didn't. But it's especially pretty there with the entire orchestra and all.

    ReplyDelete